Meet Dr. Setzen
Michael Setzen, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.A.P.
Dr. Setzen is a board-certified Otolaryngologist – Head and Neck Surgeon at Michael Setzen Otolaryngology, P.C. Dr. Setzen is in private practice in Great Neck, New York since completing his residency in St. Louis,
Missouri at Barnes Hospital, Washington University Medical Center in 1982. Prior to this, he did his internship at the Cleveland Clinic where he did well.
- Listed in America’s Top Doctors every year from 2003-2021 (Castle Connolly)
- Top Doctors in the New York Metropolitan area 2003-2021 (Castle Connolly)
- Mentioned in the “Best Doctors in New York”, New York Magazine, almost every year from 2003 through 2014
- Mentioned as one of Long Island’s Top Doctors in 2008-2020 in Newsday
- He is featured in a book entitled O.R
- He has written more than 125 articles (100 in Peer-Reviewed Journals) on the subject of Otolaryngology
- Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Past President, American Rhinologic Society (ARS)
- Past Chair Board of Governors, American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head&Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS)
- Chief Rhinology Section, North Shore University Hospital (Northwell), Manhasset, NY”
He is featured in a book entitled O.R., mentioned in the “Best Doctors in New York”, New York Magazine, almost every year from 2003 through 2014, also Listed in America’s Top Doctors every year from 2003-2021 (Castle Connolly); Top Doctors in the New York Metropolitan area 2003-2021 (Castle Connolly) He is also mentioned as one of Long Island’s Top Doctors in 2008-2020 in Newsday. He has written more than 100 articles (80 in Peer-Reviewed Journals) on the subject of Otolaryngology.
Dr. Setzen provides comprehensive medical and surgical care for patients, both pediatric and adult, with diseases and disorders that affect the ears, nose, throat and related structures. Nasal and sinus disease, pediatric ENT, facial plastic surgery, head and neck oncology and laser surgery, and surgery for snoring are fundamental areas of his expertise. For more detailed information on these ears, nose, and throat problems visit the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
Dr. Setzen is involved in the organizational aspect of medicine, and particularly otolaryngology on a local, state, national and worldwide level.
Dr. Setzen has full admitting privileges at the following hospitals and healthcare facilities:
- North Shore University Hospital at Manhasset (part of Northwell Health, formerly North Shore-LIJ Health System), Manhasset, NY – Chief of Rhinology Section of Otolaryngology
- Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology at Weill Cornell Medical College 2018-Present
- St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, NY – Senior Clinical Attending in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- Lennox Hill Hospital, NY
- Manhattan Eye, Ear, Throat Hospital (MEETH)
- New York Eye Infirmary, New York, NY – Associate Clinical Attending in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- Day-op Center of Long Island, Mineola, NY
What our patients Have to say
“I’ve been a patient of Dr. Michael Setzen for many years. I have a chronic nasal condition and have needed several surgeries to remove reoccurring polyps. All surgeries were performed by Dr. Setzen with great success.
He has always shown great care, deep understanding of the problem and how to treat it. In addition, Dr. Setzen performed reconstructive surgery on my son’s nose a few years ago. My son had an extremely severe deviated septum from a childhood injury. He had only 5 to 10% breathing capability. It was a challenging and complex surgery that most doctors would not have even attempted. It was a 100% successful surgery, and my son has been able to breathe freely ever since. To put it simply – brilliant mind, golden hands, beautiful personality. Thank you Dr. Setzen!” – Misha L.
- Medical School: University of the Witwatersrand Medical School, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1969-1974
- Internship: Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, 1977-1978 Johannesburg General Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1975
- Residency: Barnes Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, 1978-1982 (Dr. Joseph H. Ogura, Chairman – Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery)
- Practice: Private practice – October 1982 through the present – initially in Manhasset, NY and now in Great Neck, NY for the past 10 years
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Honor Award, September 1997
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Distinguished Service Award to be awarded September 2010
- Weill Cornell Medical College
- Academic upgrade to Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology: effective July 1st, 2018
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology 1995-2018
- New York University – Clinical Associate Professor of Otolaryngology 2000-2017
- New York Medical College – Clinical Assistant Professor in Otolaryngology 1983-2014
- 2020 New York Advanced Rhinology and Sinus Surgery Course, Panelist on “Office-Based Surgery” and “Compliance, Billing & Coding Update”; Manhattan, New York, May 15-16th 2020 -Rescheduled due to COVID-19<
- American Academy of Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery Annual Meeting; Panelist on Mini-Seminar “Rhinoplasty and Nasal Reconstruction in the Pediatric Patient” *rescheduled to October 2021.
- Nassau Surgical Society – Annual Clinic Day – Moderator, Organizer and Scientific Chairman, Long Island, NY, December 9th, 2020 *presentation will now be virtual.
- European Rhinologic Society Meeting (ERS 2021/ISIAN/IRS)-Honored International Faculty, Presenter, and Panelist; “Balloon Dilation of the Eustachian Tube”, “Eustachian Tube Dysfunction” ”Complications in FESS-How to avoid the Worst Scenarios” to be presented on Panels; Thessaloniki, Greece; September 26-30 2021
Schedule a consultation
To learn more about Dr. Setzen or to schedule a consultation, contact us at 516-829-0045. Our practice serves Slingerlands, NY, and the surrounding areas.